[Ambulant-users] Ambulant Player 2.2 released

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sat Jul 3 21:55:46 CEST 2010

Ambulant Player release 2.2 is ready for download.
(Actually, Ambulant Player release 2.2 has been ready for download for over a month, but we completely forgot to send out the announcement:-)

Ambulant Player is an open source cross-platform SMIL 3.0 multimedia player.

The main new features of this release:
- Plugins for at least one browser on all major platforms:
  - Firefox plugin for Windows
  - Internet Explorer plugin for Windows
  - Safari plugin for Mac
  - Firefox plugin for Linux
- Much better synchronization of audio and video streams
- Windows Vista and Windows 7 support
- <prefetch> has been implemented to allow seamless playback of audio and video from different sources.
- <param> can be used to select a specific renderer (such as the Windows DirectX renderer for video)
- for developers: the build process has been streamlined (especially for third party libraries)
- for developers: the above-mentioned param-mechanism makes it much easier to custom renderers

The standalone player is available for Mac (OSX 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6, ppc/intel/64bit), Windows (XP or later, 32bits) and Linux (build from source, for 32 or 64 bit). We have terminated support for Maemo (Nokia 770/800) and Windows Mobile.

For installing the plugin, there is a special page that will try to select the relevant plugin for your browser and platform, and automatically install it if possible.

Everything can be found at http://www.ambulantplayer.org .

Enjoy,